Missouri Civics Exam a Requirement for New Students Seeking Degrees
Beginning fall 2019, all new students who are seeking an associate degree or bachelor degree are required to take the Missouri Higher Education Civics Achievement Examination, or the Missouri Civics Exam.
The exam is a graduation requirement for students at public colleges and universities in the state, and is a result of Missouri Senate Bill 807, which passed in 2018.
At St. Louis Community College, the course is MCE 100: Missouri Civics Exam.
What You Should Know
- Students register for MCE 100 as any other course.
- MCE 100 is zero credit hours; there is no cost.
- Preparation materials are online, and is hosted on Blackboard.
- Students may take the civics exam online as many times as necessary to pass.
- Although the class is zero credit, it must appear on the student’s college transcript.
- MCE 100 is ready for registration.
- Missouri Civics Exam does not apply to students who are seeking certificates.
Students may enroll in MCE 100 any time after being accepted to STLCC, and do not need to complete any other courses before registering for the exam; it can be the first course a student signs up for, if they choose.
Passing MCE 100
Students will receive notification through Blackboard after completing and passing the Missouri Civics Exam. A faculty member assigned to the course will submit a P/NG in Banner. It will show up on the academic record at the end of the semester.
Exemptions to MCE 100
Some students could be exempt from taking the Missouri Civics Exam.
- Any student who completed a course at STLCC before fall 2019, or who transferred a course that was completed at another college or university before fall 2019 is not subject to the Missouri Civics Exam.
- Dual-enrolled/early college program students are exempt from taking the Missouri Civics Exam.
However, dual credit students are not exempt and must take the exam.
Students are encouraged to speak to an academic adviser, faculty, counselor or admissions representative for questions about the Missouri Civics Exam.