Compass Placement Test
St. Louis Community College uses Compass, an untimed, computerized placement test to evaluate your academic skills and place you into appropriate courses. Compass scores indicate areas in which you are strong and areas in which you may need help. Following testing, you and your advisor or counselor can review your results and determine coursework that will be appropriate to your academic skills and chosen program of study.
Compass is required of all students unless academic credentials are submitted that qualify students to take such courses without testing. STLCC may waive all or part of the placement test if students provide written documentation of one of the following:
- A college transcript or grade report documenting successful completion (with a grade of "C" or higher) of reading, writing or mathematics course prerequisites
- A college degree from an accredited institution
- An ACT score earned within the last three years documenting:
- A reading score of 18 or above to waive the reading test
- An English score of 18 or above to waive the writing test
- A math score of 23 or above to waive the math test
- An SAT score earned within the last three years documenting:
- A critical reading score of 500 or above to waive the reading and writing tests
- A math score of 580 or above to waive the math test
In addition, some selective admission programs may require additional assessment exams or skills tests.
If you cannot document that you have met the alternative assessment criteria noted above, you will be required to take the appropriate placement test(s).
If you have a disability that requires accommodations for the entry assessment, please call the Access office at the campus of your choice for an appointment prior to testing. Documentation will be required.
For more information about the Compass test, view the preparation video and the online guide.
Call or visit the Assessment Center at the campus of your choice to obtain the testing schedule.
Admin. Building, First Floor
Communications North 229
Student Services Area