Text Only Skip to content
Skip header navigation.
Skip sub-section linksSTLCC Home » Enroll Now » Enroll Now » Veterans Services » Missouri Veterans Programs

Within this section

Missouri Veterans Programs

Vietnam Veterans Survivor Grant Program

This grant is available to children and spouses of Vietnam veterans whose death was attributed or caused by exposure to toxic chemicals during the Vietnam conflict.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time undergraduate student at a participating Missouri postsecondary institution
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress according to standards determined by the approved institution
  • Be a Missouri resident and a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen, and not be pursuing a degree or certificate in theology or divinity

The applicant must provide a qualified medical certification by a Department of Veterans Affairs medical authority to verify that the exposure to toxic chemicals contributed to or was the cause of the death of the veteran. Grants can be renewed annually until a student has obtained a degree or has completed 150 semester credit hours, whichever comes first. Grant awards are not available during summer school terms.

How much can I receive?
The maximum annual grant amount is the least of the actual tuition charged at the school where you are enrolled full-time or the amount of tuition charged to a Missouri undergraduate resident enrolled full-time in the same class level and in the same academic major as an applicant at the University of Missouri-Columbia

How can I apply?
Grant applications will be available in the spring and can be obtained by calling the MOSTARS Information Center at 800-473-6757 or 573-751-3940.

Missouri Returning Heroes’ Act

The Missouri Returning Heroes' Education Act  provides that all public institutions of higher education that receive any state funds appropriated by the general assembly shall limit the tuition charged to combat veterans to $50 per credit hour, for any program leading to a certificate, an associate or baccalaureate degree. A combat veteran is any person who served in armed combat after Sept. 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions.

An eligible combat veteran shall receive the tuition limitation as long as the veteran achieves and maintains a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 or its equivalent. The eligibility period for the tuition limitation shall expire 10 years from the date of the veteran's last discharge from service.
What are the eligibility requirements?

  • Must have served in an armed combat zone between Sept. 11, 2001, and the present. The combat zone is designated by the U.S. Department of Defense and can typically be found on your DD 214.
  • Must have been a Missouri resident when first entering the military.
  • Must have been honorably discharged from military service.
  • Must be enrolled in a program that is leading to an undergraduate certificate or an associate or baccalaureate degree.

How do I apply for Missouri Returning Heroes?
Complete the attached form along with a copy of your DD 214 and submit to the Enrollment Services office.

Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant Program

These grants are available annually to children and spouses of veterans whose deaths or injuries were a result of combat action or were attributed to an illness that was contracted while serving in combat action, or who became 80 percent disabled as a result of injuries or accidents sustained in combat action since Sept. 11, 2001. The total number of veterans that may receive a grant in any year is limited by statute to 25. The veteran must have been a Missouri resident when first entering the military service or at the time of death or injury. The Missouri Veteran’s Commission determines whether the veteran meets the program’s requirements.

Am I eligible?
To be eligible for assistance, you must meet the following eligibility requirements at the time of application and throughout the period in which you receive the award.

Initial Students:

  • Be a United States citizen, permanent resident or otherwise lawfully present in the United States.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at least half-time in a participating college or university.
  • Be the veteran’s spouse at the time of death or injury or the veteran’s child.
  • Be less than 25 years of age if you are the veteran's child.
    You may continue to be eligible through the end of the semester in which you turn 25 or the receipt of your first bachelor's degree, whichever occurs first.
  • You must have been a dependent of the veteran at the time of death or injury.
  • Complete and submit all requested eligibility information.

How much can I receive, and when will I receive my award?
Your maximum grant amount each semester will be the sum of the following:

  • The lesser of the actual tuition charged for the number of hours in which you are enrolled or the amount of tuition charged a Missouri resident enrolled in the same number of hours at the University of Missouri-Columbia.
  • An allowance of up to $2,000 per semester for room and board; and
  • The lesser of the actual cost for your books or $500.

For example: If the tuition at your school is $4,000, the tuition at the University of Missouri-Columbia is $3,000, and your books cost $450, the maximum amount you would be eligible to receive would be $5,450.

$3,000 tuition (the lesser of $4,000 and $3,000) +
$2,000 maximum room and board allowance (or the actual may be less) +
$450 books (the lesser of $500 and $450) =
$5,450 maximum award per semester

Renewal Students

  • Continue to meet the eligibility requirements for initial students, and
  • Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and otherwise maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the school.

Awards are provided based on funding availability up to the 25 student limit. Renewal students and students with the earliest application received dates have priority. Students who cannot be paid because funds are not available or the 25 student limit has been reached will be placed on a waiting list.

At the beginning of each semester, your school will verify your eligibility. The verification process takes about three weeks. Once your eligibility is verified, the Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) will send your award to your school. Generally, fall payments will be sent in mid-September and spring payments will be sent by early February. Awards are not available during summer terms and must be received in the academic year in which they are offered.

How can I apply?
Download and complete the Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant Program Application.

Return the completed application to:

Missouri Department of Higher Education
Attn: Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant
P.O. Box 1469
Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

For first-time applicants, the Missouri Veteran’s Commission must complete Section IV of the application. Renewal students are required to complete Sections I, II and III of the application each year. If you have any questions or need an application sent to you, you may contact the MDHE at 800-473-6757, option 4.

There is no application deadline; however, early submission of the completed application is encouraged since the number of recipients is limited.

How will I know if I am eligible?
The MDHE will provide notice to you of your eligibility. The school you are attending determines final eligibility at the time the grant funds are requested each semester.

How do I renew my award?
The MDHE sends applications to renewal students in late spring or early summer each year. You can also download the application or contact the MDHE for an application at 800-473-6757, option 4.

The grant may be renewed annually until you complete your first bachelor’s degree or if you are the veteran’s child, through the semester in which you turn 25 years of age.

How do I transfer my award?
You may transfer your eligibility to any participating school. If you choose to transfer to a different participating Missouri institution between semesters, you must complete Sections I, II and III of another application. Your award amount may change as a result of the transfer.