Text Only Skip to content
Skip header navigation.
Skip sub-section linksSTLCC Home » Enroll Now » Develop an Academic Plan » Academic Advising » Advising FAQs

Within this section

Advising FAQs

What is the difference between an advisor and a counselor?
specialize in matters pertaining to your educational program: college policies, placement/assessment test interpretation, degree requirements, transfer of courses, schedule planning and graduation checks.

Counselors will help you in choosing a career field or major, as well as any personal and family issues or academic difficulty. Also, if you are on restricted academic probation or restricted probation, you must see a counselor (not an advisor) before registering. Counselors will help you determine your goals; advisors will help you with the educational plan to reach those goals.

Do I have an advisor assigned to me?
Each advisor specializes in several specific college programs. You are not assigned to an advisor -- you may see anyone you like. But if you have decided on a specific major, it would be to your advantage to see an advisor who specializes in that field.

How do I contact an advisor?
Please contact the Advising office for times and availability. See Contact Us for the correct phone number. Withdrawals, registrations, placement/assessment test interpretations and brief information can be handled at the Advising Office on a drop-in basis.

What is the difference between an Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate in Science, Associate of Arts in Teaching, and Associate in Applied Science Degree?
St. Louis Community College has degrees that are designed to transfer to four-year institutions. These are the Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate of Arts in Teaching, and Associate in Science degrees. These programs include freshman- and sophomore-level courses required by most four-year institutions.

There also are degrees not necessarily designed to transfer, but rather to prepare you for a career. These are the Associate in Applied Science degrees. Selected courses from these degrees may transfer to four-year institutions.

There also are certificate programs which require fewer hours than the associate degrees. Their purpose is to equip you with a set of specific vocational/career skills. Advisors can help you clarify which degree/certificate program is right for you and which courses to take to meet your goals. 

How do I know if the courses I take will transfer?
Students may go the Transfer Guide page to link to information that will assist them in determining what courses will transfer and apply at another college or university. Students also may contact each college or university for degree and transfer information.

What should I do if I don't know what my major will be?
First of all, don't panic. The vast majority of college students don't know what major to choose, and many change their minds along the way. However, we have some resources available to help. Counselors are available to assist you with career planning issues and have a variety of resources, including the computer career guidance program Discover, as well as career testing, that can help you through the career planning process. Above all, give yourself time to explore.

I know what degree I want, I just don't know where to get it. Can you help?
The Internet is a powerful resource. There are a number of great websites available to help you with your search for colleges. If you know your specific major, you can search by geographic location, size, cost and other factors to see which schools fit your needs at Peterson's Guide to Colleges. You can apply online, get scholarship and financial aid information, or e-mail the schools to obtain more information.