Text Only Skip to content
Skip header navigation.
Skip sub-section linksSTLCC Home » Student Resources » Temporary Assistance for Needy Families » Housing Assistance

Within this section

Housing Assistance

Rental Housing Searches

  • Social Serve:
    Provides information on affordable housing as well as Section 8 housing in "real-time". Search by neighborhood, region or by entering in specifics (ex: rent amounts, bedroom numbers, type of property, etc.)
  • HUD Low-rent apartment search
    Find low-rent apartments for senior citizens, people with disabilities, families and individuals.

Homeless Shelters

When calling homeless shelters & the housing hotline be aware that their intake workers will ask you personal questions, at times they may seem very personal. These questions, according to their regulations, are required to assist you in finding the best available options for shelter. Also, please note that if you are staying with friends or family, even if this is not your permanent address, you are most likely not going to be considered homeless as you have a shelter to stay in each night. Be sure to provide full and accurate information to the hotline or intake worker you speak with. Another item that many calling shelters for the first time do not understand is that many shelters have curfews in place, some may be as early as 4 p.m. You will need to talk with each shelter to discuss their rules and be sure that you will be able to adhere to their requirements. If your situation changes and you know you will not need to utilize the shelter being held for you, contact the shelter so they may open the space up for someone who truly needs it.

Section 8 & Public Housing

Security Deposit Assistance

  • Adequate Housing for Missourians: 314-551-0800
    You are eligible if you meet a combination of the following: You are moving into Section 8 or Public Housing, you are disabled, you meet income guidelines, you have utilities turned on in your name, you have not yet moved into your new apartment or you haven't been in your new apartment for more than one month. May be able to assist with up to 50% of your security deposit (with a $600 maximum benefit amount).
  • St. Patrick Center: 314-802-0700 - Serves St. Louis city residents



Rental & Mortgage Payment Assistance

  • Community Action Agency of St. Louis County: 314-863-9023
    Assistance may be available for rent or mortgage payments, rent or utility deposits, or emergency minor home repair. Serves St. Louis county residents.
  • Human Development Corporation of Metropolitan St. Louis:
    314-613-2200 - Serves St Louis City and Wellston residents. 
  • Urban League:
    • St. Louis County: 314-388-9840 
    • St Louis City: 314-615-3600
  • Salvation Army: 314-646-3000 - Main St. Louis Headquarters
  • St. Patrick Center: 314-802-0700 - St Louis city residents. May be able to assist with the last $100 needed.
  • The Emergency Assistance Ministry (TEAM): 314-831-0879
    For existing clients of their food pantry other assistance, such as rent/mortgage help, may be available. Serves residents of 63031/63033/63034/63042 and those in the incorporated areas of Ferguson – proof required. If they cannot help you they may be able to provide you information on other area agencies that can.
  • Isaiah 58 Ministries: 314-776-1410
    May help with last $25-$50. Serves 63104, 63110, 63116, 63118.
  • St. Louis Adventist Community Services: 314-429-0216
    Serves county residents.
  • St. Vincent DePaul Society: 314-531-7837
    Will provide caller with local St. Vincent DePaul contacts in their area that may provide assistance.
  • United Way: 211 from any landline or 1-800-427-4626
    Referral service for a variety of needs, including housing assistance.

College Student Apartments

  • University Meadows: 314-516-7502
    Accepts non-UMSL students as long as the individual is attending at least one class in a St. Louis area college. Located at 2901 University Meadows Dr., St. Louis, MO 63121


  • St. Louis County Veterans Services Specialist: 314-615-7414
  • John Cochran VA Medical Center Homeless Program: 314-289-6547

Elderly/Disabled Housing Assistance

  • Housing Options Provide for the Elderly (HOPE) Inc: 314-776-0155
    Provides housing options for elderly and developmentally disabled including senior & caregiver counseling, information about housing, reverse mortgage information and counseling, home sharing and money for moving assistance.
  • Paraquad: 314-567-1558/TDD 314-567-5552
    Help individuals with disabilities find suitable, accessible housing. Also provide various other services for individuals with disabilities.