Text Only Skip to content
Skip header navigation.
Skip sub-section linksSTLCC Home » Programs » Transfer Degrees » Associate of Arts in Teaching » FAQ's When Transferring

Within this section

  • Recommended Academic Plan

FAQ's When Transferring

It is important that students determine their intended area of teacher certification as well as the transfer institution they plan to attend as soon as possible. This determination is important because different areas of certification may require degree-specific General Education coursework, which is typically taken in the first two years of college. In addition, four-year institutions may have course-specific requirements for teacher certification that should be taken as part of the first two years of General Education coursework. Students should be proactive in being fully informed, planning ahead and consulting with advisors at both two and four-year institutions. Self-advisement concerning course selection is discouraged since mistakes can be costly in terms of time and money. In addition, you should review the MACTE website and become familiar with the informational surveys completed by your four-year institutions of interest since most of your questions can be answered prior to contacting the schools individually.

1. Not all institutions offer certification in all areas of teaching. Be sure to ask if the four-year institution offers your intended area of certification. A list of institutions by area of certification can be found on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website.

2. Has your institution signed off on the AAT Statewide Articulation Agreement? If not, how will my coursework transfer into your program? Which courses will transfer for "full credit toward required coursework" on your campus, and which courses will transfer as "electives?"  (Teacher Education certification has limited opportunity for electives; be sure you are clear on the total number of hours you will need to complete in order to graduate.)

3. Do you have specific transfer scholarships for transfer students in Teacher Education? If so, what is the deadline?

4. What financial aid opportunities exist that will assist or enable me to attend your institution? Do you have a work study program or part-time employment on campus?

5. What additional fees do you have beyond tuition? These fees may include student activity fees, technology fees, parking fees and any other additional costs to attending your college.

6. If you are unable to attend school full time because of employment obligations, you should ask about field experiences and student teaching, since these occur during the typical work day. You also should ask how often required courses are offered in a flexible schedule and if that schedule includes both evenings and weekends. Not all courses will be offered each semester, requiring you to plan ahead.   

7. Does your institution have general education requirements for teacher certification beyond the General Education block that is part of graduation requirements? If so, what specific General Education courses should I take in my first two years to meet graduation requirements?

8. If your transfer prior to completing an AAT degree, be sure to ask for an audit of your transcript and then ask the advisor to indicate which courses will transfer as electives. This question is important because Teacher Education majors have few hours in their degree for elective credit. In addition, ask the advisor at the transfer institution to complete a degree plan for you that includes the exact classes and credit hours that you will need to complete for graduation from the institution. 

9. What are your application deadlines and application fees?