Within this section
- Program Descriptions
- District Information
The Meramec art department provides an intellectual, social and physical environment that fosters individual growth and creativity for all members of the community in support of a commitment to the process of life-long learning. Nineteen active full-time faculty members in the fields of studio art, photography, graphic design, digital media, interior design, and architecture support this student-centered environment.
A variety of associate degrees leading to job placement or continued academic study are offered through the department. In meeting the educational needs of our community, certificates of proficiency and certificates of specialization are also available in several fields (Kitchen and Bath Design, Digital Media, and Studio Art).
Among the highlights of our area are:
- A large digital media center (the Center for Visual Technology) that features the most current hardware and software in support of courses in interactive design, web design, page layout, large-format digital printing, digital photography and more.
- A Fine Art area with well-established programs in foundations, figure drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture, and photography.
- Career programs in Graphic Communications, Architectural Technology, and Interior Design led by faculty who are active professionals in their field.
- A variety of Art History courses addressing historic and contemporary issues in a range of media.
- A 1700 sq. foot gallery space within the art building that displays work by regional and national artists.
- An active visiting artist series (involving both workshops and lectures).
- Opportunities for fieldwork and service learning activities.
Meramec also has formal articulation agreements with the University of Missouri – St. Louis and the Kansas City Art Institute. This helps facilitate the easy transfer of credits and continuing educational opportunities for our students. The art department is also involved with the San Francisco Art Institute’s Community College Scholarship Program to allow additional opportunities for graduates.
The art department at Meramec is also proud to be a fully-accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD), the nationally recognized accrediting body for schools of art and design. The rigors and high standards of instruction that we try to maintain has allowed us to be one of the few accredited community college art departments in the country.