Within this section
- Program Information Sheet
- Recommended Academic Plan-AAS
- Recommended Academic Plan-CP
- Recommended Academic Plan Housing Inspection Option-CP
- Gainful Employment Data
Building Inspection and Code Enforcement Technology
Certificate of Proficiency (FP)
This program provides in-service training for current building inspectors and code enforcement officials and prepares students for entry-level employment. Students will learn to approve architectural plans and specifications, award work permits and inspect new construction as it progresses. They will become knowledgeable in inspection techniques, soils, architectural materials, plumbing and electrical systems, heating and ventilation systems and municipal fire safety regulations.
Graduates are qualified for positions as building inspectors and code enforcement officials with municipal governments, national and state agencies and private firms.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of construction and building inspectors is expected to grow faster than average for most occupations through 2014.
Persons interested in this program should possess:
- An interest in mechanical operations
- The ability to work with and pursue small details
- The ability to read and interpret technical documents and construction drawings and specifications