Text Only Skip to content
Skip header navigation.
Skip sub-section linksSTLCC Home » College News » » Men's soccer opens season with overtime loss to SWIC

Men's soccer opens season with overtime loss to SWIC

August 25, 2014

On a sweltering Saturday afternoon, St. Louis Community College's men's soccer team dropped its season opener 2-1 in an overtime matchup that ended with a penalty kick in the 100th minute.

The Archers grabbed an initial, 1-0 lead in the game's 20th minute, a lead that they would carry until the 33rd minute, when SWIC's Trent Kendrick notched the equalizer.

STLCC saw multiple second-half opportunities go by the wayside, including a shot bounding off the right goalpost within the final five minutes of regulation. SWIC was awarded a penalty kick following a handball within the last minute of overtime. Forward Dan Hughey secured the win for SWIC, booting the penalty kick in the lower-left corner of the goal.

"Overall, it was a very positive day," Head Coach Tim Mosby said. The effort was there, especially on a day like this. We had our chances to win the game, but it's soccer. The ball doesn't hit the post and it goes in, we're walking out of here with a 2-1 win. I'm happy with the hustle and happy with the things they're doing right."

The story of the day revolved around the temperature, as the heat index reached 105 degrees during the game's first half. Originally scheduled for a noon start, the game was moved up to 10 a.m. in order to avoid the mid-day heat. However, with the game stretching into a 10-minute overtime period, there was little relief for either team.

"I think it affected both teams, and the referees obviously took note and gave us a break each half," Mosby said. "Both teams aren't really in 'soccer shape' with their first game, usually, and the heat just makes that even worse. I thought our guys overcame it well and I didn't think the heat won or lost the game for anyone today."

The Archers are scheduled to return to action Tuesday at Jefferson College.