All News Archives
STLCC-Forest Park Student Newspaper Earns 23 Awards at MCMA Conference
April 10, 2014
Members of the Scene staff include, seated, from left, Brandon Reynolds, Anna Chekhovskaya, Jasmine Bell and Carl Anderson; and standing, from left, JaQ’uan Sanders, Teri Maddox, Justin Tolliver, DeJuan Baskin, LaJerrel Johnson, Markeith Childress and Scott Allen.
The Scene student newspaper at St. Louis Community College-Forest Park won 23 awards at the recent Missouri College Media Association Conference in Kirksville, Mo.
The Scene won second place for Best Newspaper Overall and also second in the sweepstakes. The student publication competes in Division 4, which includes newspapers at community colleges across the state.
"We've had a particularly strong staff in the past year, and this showing at MCMA is one of our best in recent memory. No doubt the two go hand in hand," said Teri Maddox, Scene faculty adviser.
The award winners were:
· Former editor Chris Cunningham, first place, entertainment review; second place, news writing; second place, feature photography; and third place, regular column.
· Jerome Clark, first and second place, political/editorial cartoons; second place, non-political/entertainment cartoon; and third place, story illustration.
· Current co-editor Scott Allen, first place, sports writing and feature photography; and second place, feature page.
· Current co-editor Sana Cole, second place, feature writing.
· Justin Tolliver, first place, regular column and Page 1 design; and second place, feature page.
· Tamara Dodd, second place, regular column.
· Evan Sandel, third place, sports writing.
· LaJerrel "Link" Johnson, honorable mention, sports writing.
· Garrieth Crockett, third place and honorable mention, news photography.
· Brandon Panosh, second place, sports photography.
· Jammarl Montgomery, third place, Page 1 design.