All News Archives
STLCC-Meramec to Host Spring Career Fair March 6
February 24, 2014
St. Louis Community College-Meramec’s Career and Employment Services (CES) office will host a Spring Career Fair 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Thursday, March 6, in the gymnasium on campus, 11333 Big Bend Road.
More than 60 employers will be on campus looking to fill full- and part-time positions, as well as offer internship opportunities. Jobseekers should arrive between 9:30 a.m. and noon to ensure recruiters will be available. Attendance has averaged more than 300 in previous years.
Jobseekers are encouraged to prepare for the event.
- Request a list of employers recruiting at the fair and begin researching positions they are seeking. Conducting the proper research allows participants the opportunity to tailor resumes to fit the employer’s needs. Having a list prior to attending the fair will ensure that you are able to plan which table to visit.
- Bring at least 30 copies. Some employers will not accept hard copy resumes and will direct potential employees to apply online. This is to comply with federal regulations of how employers keep data on applicants. Participants should come prepared to speak directly with employers.
- Develop a 20- to 30-second spiel about yourself.
- Dress to impress. Be confident in your appearance. Wear professional clothing such as collared shirts, a tie, slacks and jacket for men. Ladies should wear a suit, skirt, blouse or slacks.
- Respect others’ space, and maintain confident nonverbal communication. Make frequent eye contact, have a friendly demeanor and a firm handshake
- Bring a portfolio, notepad and pen.
- Prepare three to four questions to ask employers.
Additional tips include asking for a business card from employers and sending a “thank you” note within 24 hours if you received any special information.
CES will have an online application station so attendees can apply for positions the day of the fair. Tables will be available for attendees to complete hard copy applications.
For more information, contact 314-984-7611 or email CES@stlcc.edu.