Text Only Skip to content
Skip header navigation.
Skip sub-section linksSTLCC Home » College News » 2011 » October » Archers Fall to St. Charles in Physical Game

Archers Fall to St. Charles in Physical Game

October 12, 2011

Tolga Bolen  
Archers forward Tolga Bolen splits a pair of St. Charles defenders in Tuesday's 3-2 double-overtime loss at Florissant Valley.

















Technically, neither St. Louis Community College nor St. Charles Community College has a rugby team. Pardon any fans who may have been confused after watching Tuesday’s men’s soccer game between the two teams.

St. Charles rallied from a 2-0 first-half deficit to defeat the Archers 3-2 in a double-overtime thriller.

But that comeback ended up being a sidebar to the main story, which was the unexpected physicality of the match. There were 26 fouls in the contest, 15 by St. Charles and 11 by the Archers. St. Charles was issued five yellow cards and one red card, and the Archers were hit with three yellow cards of their own.

The combination resulted in a hotly contested match that left both coaches exhorting their players for the entirety of the game.

“It was a really physical game, and that suits them well,” said STLCC head coach Mike Mayberry. “They pressured a little harder than we did, and we gave the ball away.”

The game appeared to be one with a positive finish in store for the Archers, as sophomore midfielder Joe Tibbles (Seckman) scored a pair of first-half goals to give STLCC an early lead. The Archers were shut out in their only other meeting with St. Charles this year, making that lead appear even more notable.

Matt Wood  
Archers midfielder Matt Wood regains his
balance and possession of the ball against
St. Charles in a 3-2 double-overtime loss
Tuesday at Florissant Valley.

But St. Charles clawed back in the game, beginning with a header off a free kick in the 44th minute to trim the Archers’ lead to one heading into the half.

St. Charles then tied the game at 2-2 in the 60th minute, where the score would remain until the 107th minute.

The loss did not sit well with Mayberry, who viewed the loss as a missed opportunity.

“We dominated the first 25 minutes, but we let it get away,” Mayberry said. “They had the stronger will to win.”

STLCC plays its final regular-season road game Saturday (Oct. 15) at Wentworth Military Academy before closing out the regular season at home against Dakota Tech on Sunday (Oct. 16) in a 1 p.m. match at Florissant Valley. The Archer women’s game against Dakota Tech precedes the men’s match. Game time for that contest is 11 a.m.