Pharmacy Technician Certification
PHARMACY TECHNICIAN Information Sessions
This free session is designed to provide information to individuals interested in the Pharmacy Technician Training. The presentation will include an explanation of the prerequisites, an overview of the training and requirements needed for certification. The orientation is free but registration is required.
Our next information session is:
- AHCE 786 Section C01
- Wednesday, October 29
- 6 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Corporate College, 209
Call 314-984-7777 to register today
This noncredit training prepares the student for entry level employment as a pharmacy technician. The course provides 105 hours of classroom instruction and 60 hours of externship experience. Class meets twice a week for 28 sessions; each 3.5 hours in length. The 60 hours of externship experience follows the classroom experience. Students will learn about the top medications dispensed in the United States and be introduced to the basic concepts of pharmacy calculations for proper medication dispensing. View our Pharmacy Technician Fact Sheet.
Clinical and Field Work
Some degree and certificate programs offered by the college require students to obtain clinical or other field experience as part of their course work. Students with criminal convictions or drug use may have difficulty progressing in these programs. Hospitals and facilities may mandate that a criminal background check and/or drug screening check (at the student’s expense) may be conducted prior to placement in a clinical or field setting. Students not passing these checks may be prohibited from participating in the clinical or field experience thus rendering the student ineligible to satisfactorily meet the course/program requirements.
Prerequisites required at time of registration
- Student must be 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or a High School Equivalency Certificate.
- Achieves a minimum score of 8.9 on both Vocabulary and Comprehension tests and a minimum score of 7.0 Mathematics Concepts and Application on the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Family Care Safety Registry-Worker Registration letter. The letter cannot be older than 6 months. You must bring the letter from DHSS not proof of payment.
Register online at http://www.dhss.mo.gov/FCSR/
Requirements completed by first week of class
- American Databank criminal background check and 5 panel drug screen.
- Physical exam/immunizations/Two-step PPD/Hepatitis B immunization series or signed waiver.
- AHA Healthcare Provider CPR certification.
Expenses the Pharmacy Technician student will incur but not limited to:
- Fee is $2,100.
- TABE Test is $11. Retest is an additional $11.
- Family Care Safety Registry is $11.
- American Databank criminal background check cost is variable.
- 5 Panel Drug Screen is $30.
- Physical Exam/immunizations/Two-step PPD/Hepatitis B Immunization series cost is variable.
- AHA Healthcare Provider CPR certification is $65 (cost at St. Louis Community College).
- Classroom supplies
How to Register
Register in person only at the Forest Park campus, G Tower 322-324.
Bring ALL prerequisites are required at time of registration.
Payment is due at time of registration.
Withdrawal and Refund
Requests for withdrawal must be submitted in writing at the Forest Park campus, Room G Tower 322-324.
You will receive a 100 percent refund if the class is dropped one business day before the first meeting. A 50 percent refund will be given if the class is dropped between one business day before the first class meeting and prior to the second meeting of class. After the second class meeting, no refunds will be given. Calculation of refunds will be based on the date the written request is received by the office. If you have a situation that warrants an override of the stated policy, an explanation of the circumstances must be submitted in writing.
All information is subject to change.