Central Sterile Processing Technician Certification Training
Call 314-984-7777 to register today!
DescriptionThis This hybrid /flip instructor-led training program offers the student a direct pathway to success in Central Sterile Processing. Whether starting a career in Central Sterile Processing or already working in the field, this program will help you establish a foundation in:
- Central service workflow and concerns
- Basic job knowledge and skills
- Basic job responsibilities
Students must have Internet connection and be competent computer and Internet users.
To assess readiness to complete an online course students should read and take the online assessment SmarterMeasure found under Online Education on the college website.
Course work will be completed online. Students will be required to attend scheduled workshop sessions on campus.
Topics presented in the program include anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, infection prevention and control, tools for cleaning, safety and decontamination. This program will prepare successful students to take a national certification exam as well as for entry-level employment as a Central Sterile Processing Technician. A strict attendance policy is enforced throughout this training. View our fact sheet.
- Tier 1:
Online course work and scheduled face-to-face workshops
- Tier 2:
400 hours of externship
The student must register for Central Sterile Processing Technician: Tier 2 for the externship experience.
Clinical and Field Work:
Some degree and certificate programs offered by the college require students to obtain clinical or other field experience as part of their course work. Students with criminal convictions or drug use may have difficulty progressing in these programs. Hospitals and facilities may mandate that a criminal background check and/or drug screening check (at the student’s expense) may be conducted prior to placement in a clinical or field setting. Students not passing these checks may be prohibited from participating in the clinical or field experience thus rendering the student ineligible to satisfactorily meet the course/program requirements.
Prerequisites required at time of registration by all students:
- Student must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or a High School Equivalency Certificate
- Achieves a minimum score of 8.9 on Vocabulary and Comprehension tests and a minimum score of 7.0 Mathematics Concepts and Application on the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Family Care Safety Registry-Worker Registration letter. The letter cannot be older than 6 months. You must bring the letter from DHSS not proof of payment. Register online at http://www.dhss.mo.gov/FCSR/
Students enrolled in Tier 2 must complete the following requirements by first week of class:
- American Databank criminal background check and 5 panel drug screen
- Physical exam/immunizations/Two-step PPD/Hepatitis B immunization series or signed waiver
- AHA Healthcare Provider CPR certification
Expenses:Expenses the Central Sterile Processing Technician student will incur but not limited to:
- Tier 1: $1,700 Tier 2: $500
- Fee varies based on program selection.
- TABE Test is $11. Retest is additional $11.
- Family Care Safety Registry is $13.25.
- American Databank criminal background check cost is variable. *
- 5 Panel Drug Screen is $30. *
- Physical Exam/immunizations/Two-step PPD/Hepatitis B Immunization series cost is variable.*
- AHA Healthcare Provider CPR certification is $69 (cost at St. Louis Community College).*
- Classroom supplies
- Certification costs vary
Download a PDF brochure
How to Register
Register in person only at the Forest Park campus, G Tower 322-324.
Bring ALL prerequisites are required at time of registration.
Payment is due at time of registration.
Section available for both Tier 1 and Tier 2 students using payment plan through MK Education. Student must have approval of MK Education to register. Contact MK Education at 630-929-8602 for details.
Withdrawals and Refunds
Requests for withdrawal must be submitted in writing at the Forest Park campus, G Tower-322-324.
The refund/withdrawal deadline for this Health Occupation program can be found in the current course schedule.
Information is subject to change